Daimon (Great Gate)

The Daimon was built as the main gate to Koyasan at the western edge of the precinct where two pilgrimage roads meet. After being destroyed countless times by fire, the current gate was constructed in 1705. A pair of giant statues of Kongo Rikishi, guardian deities, is standing at the right and the left side of the Daimon.