Nyonindo (Women’s Hall)(女人堂)


Women were banned from stepping into the strict ascetic training ground of Koyasan since its foundation up to 1872. However, due to the fervent desire of female pilgrims to be even a little closer to the Pure Land of Koya, Nyonin-michi (Women’s path) encircling the precincts of Koyasan was created over years. There were 7 routes leading to Koyasan and a Nyonindo was constructed at each entrance. Today, only one Nyonindo remains at the Fudozaka entrance.